GAIMS Becomes a Magnet! (GMS)

Allan Sanchez, Staff Writer

Cleveland is going to need to make room for another magnet because GAIMS will become a magnet next year and with a new name, GMS, Global Media Studies! With that being said, that means CORE will no longer be the only magnet at Cleveland, and there will be another small learning community added to the Magnet Schools of America. “By having GAIMS become a magnet it will allow for more flexibility over our curriculum, schedules, and we will also be more flexible with the Media Program’s Grant,” said John Latimer, who will be GMS’s Magnet Coordinator.

With the GAIMS program now becoming a magnet, it will allow for many students who are interested in film to be apart of this program. Currently, GAIMS is used to place students who are unsure of what program to join, so not all students in the SLC are actually passionate about film. “People interested in arts, media, and film, will be able to go right into the workforce and get a well paid salary,” said Latimer. Giving the program the title of a magnet will allow for people to get more into the program.

Along with this new decision comes some new changes. Any new incoming freshmen will have to apply to get accepted into GMS next year. For those students who are currently in GAIMS, they will also have to apply through the eChoices website, http://echoices.lausd.net. The window to apply is Oct. 1 to Nov. 9, 2018.

GAIMS is the most recent SLC to be added into the Land, and for it to become a magnet shows how much it has grown as a program. It shows that more students want jobs in this field and that they are interested in this field. Along with this, it shows that this field of working is becoming extremely popular, and having a magnet about this field will be a game changer. Due to this, there will be more students interested in coming to Cleveland so they could be apart of our new program.

GMS will be a wonderful addition to our family here at the Land, and it will be amazing to see how well the program will do. It’s a shame that the program could not give this great opportunity to this year’s seniors, but it will provide new things for generations to come.