CHS Still Says Enough

Julia Gavin (left) and Elliott Hyon

Julia Gavin (left) and Elliott Hyon

Samantha Hofmann

Samantha Hofmann

Julia Gavin (left) and Elliott Hyon

Samantha Hofmann, Photo Editor

A group of students said “Enough!” to gun violence last semester, but are nowhere near finished with the fight for safe schools, activism, and diversity.

Following the school shooting on February 14, 2018 at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, students around the country began to act. Specifically, at Cleveland Charter High School, students led by Ronit Sholkoff, formed a club called CHS Says Enough, in order to voice their opinions on gun violence, gun legislation, and the safety of students at schools.

Throughout the spring semester of 2018, the club held walkouts and rallies, even communicating with 15 other schools in a district-wide demonstration spelling out a powerful message: We will break the cycle.

Despite graduating in June 2018, Sholkoff left the club in the very capable hands of the new co-leaders Elliott Hyon, Julia Gavin, Diksha Dahal, and Eunice Lee.

As co-leader Elliott Hyon explains, the mission of the club is still focused around activism and encouraging people to become engaged in politics. Despite how politically active some people may feel, “there is more that we can be doing,” Hyon explains.

He goes on to mention how, “We could be doing phone banking, letter writing, registering people to vote, and there’s so many more things we just want to bring to Cleveland this year.”

More than just an opportunity to encourage being politically active, the group also hopes to focus on diversity and bringing together different experiences through a Diversity Board.

Hyon explains that the board would be filled with the leaders of cultural clubs on Cleveland’s campus, such as SAMEAN Club and BSU. This board would meet with leaders of political clubs such as JSA and Politics Club to work together to allow for more diverse experiences to be in the spotlight at Cleveland.

A fellow co-leader of CHS Says Enough, Julia Gavin, also hopes to increase involvement by making the club more accessible to students by increasing the groups presence at school and online. She hopes this will allow students to become more involved in the cause.

Gavin also explains that the club can be used as a platform for students’ voices to finally be heard. She notes the importance of this mission of the club, stating, “It’s a way to make an impact in our community and within our sphere of influence.”

The co-leader also touches on the difficulty that comes to high school students when they become politically active, stating, “Many people will say, ‘Well, you’re just kids, you can’t really make a difference.’” This opposition, however, only spurs on many groups such as CHS Says Enough to keep up the fight and voice their opinions.

Despite the opposition, Gavin notes, “But as you’re seeing on the news, kids [from all over the country] are making a difference.”

The location is tentative but CHS Says Enough is set to meet every other Tuesday in room D2, sponsored by Ms. Bondy.

About the Contributor