Girls Golf Looks to Defend Championship

Jacob Marks, Managing Editor

In one of the most dominant eras of its history, Cleveland’s Girls Golf team enters a new season. They look to defend their City Championship, while creating a strong team for the future.  

Competing in the fiercest division in the city and region in the United States, the team only had one loss during the last regular season, going on to win League and City Championships.  

It was, “very rewarding to deal Granada its first league defeat in 10 years,” declared Coach Lori Howe. Howe won the California Coaches Association Girls Golf Coach of the Year for her and the team’s success this past season.  After City Finals, the girls competed in SoCal Regionals, finishing in eighth place, the best showing of any LAUSD team to date.

We’re a close knit group and we all support each other through everything.”

— Ry Howe

Captains Ry Howe and Megan Lee look to lead the team against different squads like Chatsworth, North Hollywood, and rival Granada this year.  “Yeah we’re ready to crush Granada,” proclaimed Ry when asked about expectations for this season.

One of the aspects of the team that Captain Howe saw as crucial their success is the support and strong bonds that the girls provide each other.  The team’s confidence is vital to preserve moral and keep Cleveland’s winning spirit alive.

“We’re a close knit group and we all support each other through everything,” said Ry, “All I really want is to watch these girls grow into beautiful, confident, strong, good hearted people.”

As the season gets underway, Cleveland Golf is ready to become a dynasty.  “I’m excited about this season,” stated Coach Howe, “We have two freshman, great chemistry, and I’m hoping that it’s going to be a good season.”  After winning the first ever golf title for Cleveland this past season, it’s time for the girls to earn their second set of rings.