Dubai Powell: Hungry for the Ring

Dubai Powell: varsity football running back at the Land.

Mike Duffy

Mike Duffy, Sports Editor

Dubai Powell is ready to make his senior year as memorable as he can. Dubai is a Running Back on the Varsity Football team and is hungry to bring a ring to Cleveland.

Mike Duffy: Being a Multi-Sport Athlete in High School is so rare today when most people are playing one sport all year round.  What is it like being a Multi-Sport Athlete?

Dubai Powell: It’s a struggle playing 3 different sports year round and never getting a break but I do it by choice. It’s a huge sacrifice I have to make but not having extra time isn’t as big of a deal since I’m already doing something I love. I first started playing flag football when I was about 11.

Duffy: What is your favorite memory so far playing football at Cleveland?

Powell: My favorite memory was my first varsity game last year. I had just got moved up from JV for playoffs and was not expecting to get in and coach put me  in the 4th quarter and I was really surprised. On my first carry I got about 25 yards which was really cool and just a great way to start off my first varsity game.

Duffy: What was it like going to the City Championships last season?

Powell: It was a great experience. Riding the bus there with my teammates listening to music and getting pumped up and excited for the game is one of the most memorable experiences I will ever have. Although I’m upset we didn’t bring home the championship, it was still a great experience to go there with my teammates and to just be a part of it.

Duffy: What are your goals for this season?

Powell: After losing in the championship round I found that I, along with my teammates and coaches are only hungry for more so this year it would be cool to go all the way and win the championship this year. Our coaches just put positive energy in by telling us to work hard and to play as a team. We try to focus on the details and the small things so that our chemistry is just right. Our coaches do such a great job of bringing us together and giving us the perfect environment to succeed as a team.

Duffy: Do you have plans on playing football in college?

Powell: I do plan on playing football in college because it is something I love to do and I honestly can’t imagine life without the game. Football has just become such a huge part of my life that leaving it would just leave a huge hole in it.

About the Contributor