Softball Field and Tennis Courts to Be Refurbished

Brandon Gutierrez, Staff Writer

With the major refurbishment going around in Grover Cleveland High School, the tennis courts and softball field will be part those refurbishments.

According to Cleveland Athletic Director Greg Venger, the time to complete the courts and the field will be four years. So the 2022-2023 school year is looking like the earliest the new facilities will be used.

During the construction, the softball team will play at the Sepulveda Basin Sports Complex located in Van Nuys. The girls and boys tennis team will play at CSUN.

Traveling to practice and to play home games could be a struggle for some.  

“It is an inconvenience to always have to have to go to CSUN, it makes practice a lot less enjoyable,” 11th grade tennis player Charlotte Agniel expressed.

Not only is it challenging to have to travel to play a home game, but also home field or court advantage is lost. “We don’t have the school support on home grounds.”

It is obviously a tough situation student athletes will have to deal with for the next four years.

There is a plan to get both sports playing at one location. According to Greg Venger, there is proposal to have Sutter Middle School or Northridge Middle School build tennis courts and a softball field.

There, both the softball team and tennis teams will practice and play home games. This will also allow both teams to play closer to Cleveland than their current situation.

The school that does potentially build the courts and field will obviously have the advantage of using those facilities .

Some of the construction has already started in Cleveland, and is noticeable. There should be more refurbishments around Cleveland as time goes on.