A Breakdown of Cleveland’s Pathways

Daniel Ahn, Staff Writer

The common perception of Cleveland High School among majority of students is a residential school with a few specialized programs on the side.  However, a little research or even a conversation with school staff would reveal that the school is significantly more complex than most students assume.
The lack of awareness surrounding the structure of the school stems from the absence of an official guide or breakdown outlining the campus. The key word there is “campus,” because that is technically the correct umbrella term when referring to Cleveland, not “school,” in fact, many of the “programs” we’ve come to know are legally separated schools with unique identification codes.  Granted in practice this plays out very differently as classes aren’t strictly segregated between “schools” and consequently behave closer to interdependent programs.

The distinct schools on campus are the Humanities magnet, the regular residential institution, and the Global Media Studies magnet, which is entering finalization later this year.  The Humanities Magnet includes math and science courses and the well-known CORE classes. The GMS magnet will most likely follow a similar organization.

The magnet structures on campus resemble most conventional magnet formats, but the primary residential school holds a plethora of unforeseen complexity.  The residential school can be broken down into two main parts, SAS and the pathways system.

Unlike the the Humanities magnet, GMS, and SAS, which all operate as separate entities with specific focuses, the pathways system is not its own organization, but a progression of classes students can take with a particular focus ranging from business, to film, to engineering, to standard academics.

John Ford, Assistant Principal said that “The system is designed to give each student a more focused approach to their education, it’s an attempt to individualize the system for everyone.”

There are six umbrella categories that then encompass 23 different pathways.  These categories and pathways do not maintain the individuality of the other programs and primarily serve as guidance for students interested in a particular area of study.  Patricia Russell, another assistant principal on campus, is spearheading the effort and says that the categorical nature of the classes is an effort to model the traditional collegiate major system.

Most students in the residential school are unaware of the pathways change and to the fact that all of them have been placed in a pathway they had no idea existed!

About the Writer