Freshman and Senior Give Each Other Advice

Janani Kalyan and Samantha Hofmann

On social circles:

Jan:

When you’re new to high school, branching out immediately is not that important. Now, I’m not telling you to not make any new friends, but if you’re not a “social butterfly”, then it’s probably a good idea to be comfortable with friends you already know in your first weeks of school. Starting high school was very chaotic for me, so hanging out with friends you already know previously can be a relaxing moment for you in the midst of the tornado we all call high school. The pressure and awkwardness that comes with making new friends will stress and tire you out more than if you would just chill with your current friends until you get the hang of high school.

Sam:

Social circles will change. Friends come and go just as cliques form and break. Despite the importance the social circles you associate with hold, they do not make or break your high school experience. Make sure to socialize with a variety of different people and groups. Push yourself to join clubs or teams in order to be socially involved in your community.   

On workload management:

Jan:

Pile it on! Definitely do as much as you can and make sure to work very diligently in your classes. Being driven, determined, and focused will keep you on the right track to success! Your mental and emotional health will be restored after you party it up over the weekend!

Sam:

Don’t do too much work. Being proud of your work is one thing, but overachieving on too many assignments can be incredibly draining. Despite the unarguable importance of work (homework, tests, quizzes) with regards to one’s grades, they should not take priority over your health or personal passions and hobbies. Always make sure you are making time for yourself as well.  

On first impressions:

Jan:

When you meet new people for the first time, you probably tend to act different than you would if you were around someone you know really well. This honestly isn’t even a bad thing though. I think it’s good to want to make a good first impression. Highlight your strengths in front of your peers, just make sure not to create a personality that isn’t who you really are.

Sam:

As the expression goes, “The first impression is everything.” However, I would argue this is not always the case. I’ll admit, when I go for a job interview I dress nicer and put on makeup to make a better impression. But, I believe the impression you make in that moment is not the impression that people will always believe about you. It is in our nature as humans to make mistakes and have faults and thus there is no point judging someone from a single encounter. Keep an open mind before deciding on an opinion.

On senior year:

Jan:

This is crunch time! Looking into the world and involving yourself with friends is great and all, but you need to be working harder than ever so that you can keep up what you’ve worked your whole high school career for. If colleges want to choose students that are involved in school, then why stop before they’ve even accepted you? Acceptance letters only come in second semester, so until it ends, it’s work, work, work for you!

Sam:

My co-writer argues the importance of senior year, to which I politely disagree. Most of the work to prepare for college is done in 11th grade what with the standardized testing and volunteer work. Not to mention the seniors can only use their most recent transcript (11th grade) to send to colleges. So, as a senior, I am now more focused on my life outside of school. In my mind, I’ve done what I can school-wise, so there is no better time to get life experience and try something than now. Rather than getting caught up in the bubble of high school, I’m looking outside and to my real future.