Cleveland Offers Choir Elective

Julia Denny, Staff Writer

Choir came back as an elective at the land. Choir is a class that is offered for periods four, five and six. The class is taught by Kristofer Ornelas who recently began teaching at Cleveland last year.

Choir is separated into three different sections. One group is a Choir class that does not compete at any competitions rather the class is for beginners. Mr. Ornelas the members of this class how to match pitch, read music and much more. Mr. Ornelas also teaches a fourth period advanced chorale class which involves competing at competitions and is a class for experienced singers.

Lastly, there is a seventh period class called the Treble Choir. This class requires all participants to try out in order to be apart of it. Just like advanced chorale, treble choir also performs at competitions and also has bonding days on the weekends. Seventh period class practices from three fifteen to about four thirty.

“Choir practices are the highlight of my day. The environment is so welcoming and the positivity is overwhelming” says Mayzie Angel. Choir is described as an incredibly positive environment where everyone can be who they truly are. Choir is a place that everyone can sing their hearts out without fear of being made fun of or laughed at. It is a supportive environment and everyone encourages each other to do there best.

During choir, participants do a variety of things. First, the kids warm up there voices by doing fun and intriguing vocal exercises. Then they move onto sight reading music and practicing songs.

As the competition season nears, choir is getting excited for another winning season. As of last year advanced chorale received a gold plaque at one of these competitions. Proud of their accomplishments, this plaque hangs on the wall above the front door. Choir is very excited for the new season and is ready to add some more gold plaques up on that wall by the end of the year.

About the Writer