Getting Past Writer’s Block: Step-By-Step

Google
Google

Google

Google

Janani Kalyan, Staff Writer

I love writing, but writing doesn’t always love me back. Whenever I get a rush of creative juices spilling onto my paper, my flow suddenly freezes, and I’m left with a half-written essay worth 30% of my grade that I need to turn in tomorrow. Since I’m stuck with writer’s block very often, I’ve put together a list of five ways to overcome it even when I’m on a tight time stretch.

1) Change your space. When I feel like all my originality has been wrung out of me, I change my environment. Sources say that switching scenery can really refresh your thought process and approach to your work. So if your normal study area is blocking your imagination, don’t fret, just move somewhere else and try again.

2) Just dance. When I get so frustrated at my assignment that I want to throw my laptop across the room and then myself, I just get out of my chair and exercise or dance. I know, this sounds weird. Yet, this tip has worked the best for me so far. Just by doing some push-ups, sit-ups, or even stretches, my endorphin levels are up, making me brighter and happier, which sparks my inspiration.

3) Work on something else. I find that when I’m on a time crunch and I can’t think of anything, that taking a break and doing a different class’s homework takes my mind off of what I’m stuck on and still gets tasks done. Revisiting my assignments later on helps me improve and add to my work by a lot.

4) Let it go. Once in a while though, I reach a point where I’ve written my essay, refined every detail, and filtered it through every spell-check and grammar-check on the internet, but something just isn’t right. At this point, I’ve learned just to let it go. I don’t mean sing louder and prouder than Elsa, I mean just move on. Sometimes, overanalyzing and perfecting can dull the life of the piece. Said at its best, “Perfectionism can kill your spirit.”

5) Control + Alt + Delete. When I’ve tried every trick in the book and they all fail with flying colors, I just take a deep breath, calm, down, refresh, and try to channel my inner author. I don’t want one piece of work to ruin my whole outlook on the true meaning of the assignment. I’ll just try to write anything and everything that comes to mind and then edit out lines I don’t need.

Hopefully these approaches to overcoming writer’s block help you as much as they help me. In the end, writer’s block is a hurdle each of us needs to learn to jump over. It’s just the way we do it that differs.