Robotics Club

Guadalupe Rosas, Staff Writer

A club that has been on top of guaranteeing support for their members is the Robotics Club. The Robotics Club focuses on creating teams during the Spring semester. Each team form meeting dates that fall onto the weekends or afterschool. The club will recruit new members at the beginning of next semester.

Cleveland High School sponsors the Robotic Club for their set of teams to attend competitions. The club has organized sets of robotics teams to complete the challenge of creating a programmed robot. The robot needs to fit the requirements of being 18 inches by 18 inches by 18 inches. As well as assemble the robot out of gears, metal rods, and motors.

The club first enters within multiple smaller competitions. By winning these competitions, the succeeding teams qualify to enter into larger competitions such as the State and World. This Saturday the club will be attending a competition.

The club received the news of winning a grant they applied to. The sponsor of the Robotics Club, Mr. Basinger, helped in the process of applying for the grant.

A fellow member, Ian Joffrey, commented, “the grant’s funding will secure that this year and for many years in the future there is adequate funding for Cleveland Robotics.”

The club will utilize the funding for the expenses of the necessary parts every year. The competitions are ran by VEX who place the prices on the parts they produce. Each year, the club will be able to cover the costs and not request for any dues from the members.

The grant allows the club members to focus more on forming several skills. The process of learning the construction of a robot is to attain the knowledge of the technical elements of code and engineering.  As no one is the official leader, members obtain “experience as organizers and decision-makers navigating [their] own team’s goals” as Ian Joffey said. This allows the boost of creativity and teamwork to flow within the club.

As the teams meet up, the grant will allow the club to focus on inputting their effort into the robots. They will not have to face the challenges of affording the expensive parts and progress as a club.