Story Unfinished

Ana CIfuentes, Staff Writer

Story Unfinished is a new club at the land that meets Thursdays during lunch in E4,   created by Hayley Benitez, Jaleelat Afalobi, and Geraldine Puma.

This club intends to shed light on issues that many are afraid to talk about. It focuses on suicide prevention and what they can do to help/show their support for those who struggle with it.

The creators of the club are passionate in helping the students at the school, due to personal experiences related to suicide, including suicidal  thoughts and relations with a acquaintance who died by suicide.

Geraldine Puma says,”I am passionate about suicide prevention because I have struggled with it myself and have lost someone due to suicide.”

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among adolescents and teenagers.The purpose of the club is to  offer support and to help them. They plan on sharing life experiences and doing fun activities.

Club members don’t have to talk about personal information if they don’t feel comfortable but they can relate to others experiences and talk about how they have overcome it.

Benitez says, “Suicide is a big deal in teenagers and I don’t want them to feel alone.”

Suicide has many risk factors like depression, bipolar, substance abuse, and schizophrenia. Teens can feel very sad and hopeless, but the club wants to provide help.Suicide is very important to discuss because many consider it.

For every teen suicide death, experts say there are 10 other attempts. On average, one person dies by suicide every 16.2 minutes.

In a survey done at a high school, the National Youth Violence Prevention Center found that 1 in 5 students had thoughts of suicide and 1 in 6 teens had plans of suicide.

Afalabi said, “I feel like suicide is a topic no one wants to talk about until it happens.”  

Story Unfinished helps members hear about experiences to find hope and recovery. They desire to help anyone they can because is very hard for a teen to handle on their own.

Story Unfinished was created to help the people they can reach out to because although suicide seems unpreventable experts say it can be stopped.