“The Woman Who Fell To Earth” Series 11, Episode 1 of Doctor Who Review

Jorge Jiminez, Staff Writer

After the announcement that Jodie Whittaker was to play the fourteenth (counting the War Doctor) incarnation of the Doctor, everyone’s favorite time traveller, people have been anticipating series 11 of the show since December of 2017. Well, October 7th came and went, and so did the Time Lady’s first episode as the Doctor.

The last of the Time Lords left our screen with a shot of the Doctor falling from the sky after being thrown out by the T.A.R.D.I.S., which she watches dematerialize in the sky. Thus, one would assume that after the Doctor fell through the roof of a train, she would begin to look for her runaway ship. However, she does not. The Doctor doesn’t even take time to adjust to her new body. Instead, this episode follows the story arc of what I like to call,  the invasion after regeneration arc, but mainly focuses on the invasion. This arc involves some alien coming to earth, killing people, and the newly regenerated Doctor finding a way to stop it.

With the departure of Bill Potts at the end of series 10, people were wondering who the Doctor’s companion, or companions, would be. Well, series 11 not only introduces one companion, but three for the Doctor to adventure with. Bradley Walsh, Mandip Gill, and Tosin Cole play the Time Lady’s companions Graham, Yasmin, and Ryan. This new T.A.R.D.I.S. crew has been created to give everyone a character to relate to, which I think is pretty cool. The struggles these new characters face in the episode definitely are relatable, in my opinion.

This episode is over an hour long, which I think is just enough time to introduce the new characters and tell a story all at the same time as we get used to our new Doctor, who we’ll have for at least 3 series. The other 9 episodes of this series will be 50 minutes long, as opposed to the 45 minutes per episode of the previous series.

This episode is also different from the other invasion after regeneration episodes in the sense that this episode does not debut the interior of the T.A.R.D.I.S., which was destroyed at the end of series 10. The T.A.R.D.I.S. rebuilds itself every time it sustains major damage and it debuts in the same episode as the Doctor. However, this was not the case this time. The T.A.R.D.I.S. is missing throughout the whole episode.

This series premiere also hints at the fact that this is not the first time the Doctor has been a woman. In series 8, Missy (the Master regenerated into a woman) says that she’s cared about the Doctor since “he was a little girl”, then passes it off as a lie. But was it really? When the Doctor is changing her outfit, she states, “I haven’t had to buy women’s clothes for a long time.” Does this prove that the Doctor was once a woman before now? We can’t really say for sure, but it’s fun to theorize.

All in all, “The Woman Who Fell To Earth” is a great episode of Doctor Who. We were introduced to a new T.A.R.D.I.S. crew who will hopefully be with the Time Lady for a long time. Not only that, but we were introduced to a smart, inventive, energetic, and funny Time Lady that will make us giggle and marvel across time and space.