Has The Walking Dead Walked to its End?

Allan Sanchez, Staff Writer

“It’s on us to figure out how to make it work,” said the ever-tough and resilient Rick Grimes in season 9. And yes, indeed it is, AMC, except you haven’t. The Walking Dead is based off the comic book series created by Robert Kirkman, which still remains very successful.

The ninth season of The Walking Dead premiered on October 7th, opening with a new mindset that made the fans believe that things would be much better. The show ended the previous season with one of the lowest counts of viewers since it first started and the same applies to this season’s premiere, with only 6.1 million viewers, the same number as the series’ pilot episode. The Walking Dead has continued to try to bring these ratings back but it obviously hit its peak back in season 5.

Since then, the ratings and the viewers have slowly begun to decrease. The sad thing about this is that the show introduced one of the biggest villains from the comics, Negan, at the end of season 6. But that did little to improve the show, and the ones to blame are the writers and AMC. Many mistakes have been made in the show that has caused it to lose its fame and greatness, and the current seasons show this.

But now to the premiere. AMC decided to make an hour-long special, but unfortunately, nothing interesting really happened. The season 9 started with a time jump, which was unclear in explaining how much time had passed. Along with this, there were neither explanations nor any details as to what happened after the season 8 finale, leaving the viewers very confused about the things that were happening.

The writers of the show go through the same cycle of introducing a new character and then killing them off in the same episode, expecting the audience to have an emotional connection towards the character, which never happens, and then follow that with a big dilemma. There’s simply nothing new; The Walking Dead has run out of fresh ideas so it continues to use the same ones over and over again.

Additionally, The Walking Dead decided to reveal that Rick Grimes, played by Andrew Lincoln, will have his final episodes in season 9. This advertising was used to get more viewers, but it did not get a good response from audiences, who were upset that AMC revealed this, calling it a spoiler. Due to this, many believe that The Walking Dead has reached its end and after its ninth season, will no longer be successful and possibly no longer air.

As a huge fan of the show, I am disappointed to see that The Walking Dead is no longer the great show it once was. The feeling of not missing any episode and watching it the day it premieres no longer exists, which just shows that it no longer pleases audiences. Hopefully, AMC will figure things out and improve The Walking Dead to make the fans happy once again. If that doesn’t happen, then AMC’s Fear The Walking Dead shall be the show to watch.