Venom Article

Jacob Marks and Allan Sanchez, Managing Editor and Staff Writer

“The World Has Enough Superheroes.”  Marvel’s Venom returns to the big screen for the first time in 11 years with a superhero landing in the box office, however falling flat with the critics. The film follows the story of journalist Eddie Brock, who is infected by an alien Symbiote named Venom, forming an anti-hero who aims to protect Earth from an invasion of his kind.

Produced by Sony and directed by Ruben Fleischer, Venom was released October 5th, staring acclaimed actors Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, and Riz Ahmed. Controversially rated PG-13, many fans were expecting a more violent and disturbing R-rated film. Venom’s shockingly low 31% on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics is opposed by the audience score of 88%. While the movie is not critically acclaimed, it has been a huge hit with audiences.

Ahmed plays Carlton Drake, CEO of the LIFE Foundation, whose ambition is to find a way to sustain human life. He illegally conducts human trials, trying to merge Symbiotes from outer space with human Hosts. In trying to uncover the truth about Drake, Eddie Brock, played by Hardy, loses his job, fiancee and reputation, before breaking into the LIFE Foundation and merging with Venom.

The movie explores the relationship between Eddie and Venom more thoroughly, compared to the disappointing portrayal in Spiderman 3. This creates a relatable bond between the two characters, giving each their own traits before accepting each other, saying, “We are Venom.”

Despite the negative reviews from critics, we recommend Venom for all fans of Marvel and superheroes in general. While the film can be slow and cliche at times, it is a fun, “popcorn-movie” that has something for everyone.