Girls Build Summit

Berenice Morales, Staff Writer

On Sept. 28, three school buses full of young female students from Cleveland Charter High School participated in a field trip to USC’s Galen Center to be part of the Girls Build Summit.

The summit’s purpose was not only to persuade exercising each young person’s right to vote but to also encourage, and to empower young women that their voices matter and they’re a lot stronger than they think they are.

Although the summit was meant to have young voters exercise their civic responsibility to vote, they had a special guest star on the stage who spoke to the young ladies and women from other schools that attended the summit.

Special guest star Shonda Rhimes— director of Grey’s Anatomy— spoke during the When We All Vote Week of Action, explaining how important it is when we vote because of how powerful we are when we have social media in the palm of our hands.

Following Rhimes, pop singer Daya performed the catchy song, “Don’t Let Me Down” by the Chainsmokers, having girls filled with excitement and jumping with the beat.

Angelina Bravo, current senior at Cleveland, stated how “empowering” the summit was.

“(The summit) taught me that my vote does matter and it can make a change when an individual chooses to vote.”

Among the things Bravo said she learned at the summit was that anyone can register at the age of sixteen. She emphasized how “informing, exciting, and empowering” the event was.

“It was an exciting experience, especially when Daya performed; it was basically a free concert,” Bravo added.

Later, the young students were provided with free lunch and information for their peers at school to register. The school that had the most people register to vote could win a visit by Michelle Obama to their school.