Voter Registration Assembly

Leila Katibah, News Editor

On Friday October 5th, the Land had a voter registration assembly in which various politicians and school officials came to talk about the importance of registering to vote as well as what their jobs entail.

In California, people are allowed to register to vote at age 16. Young people between the ages of 18-29 always have the lowest voter turnout out of any other age groups, and many are trying to change that.

One of the speakers present was Scott Schmerelson, a member of the LAUSD school board. He was also an assistant principal here at Cleveland for a semester. His job as a board member is to represent students to ensure that we get the best education possible.

Another speaker at the assembly was State Senator Henry Stern. He is on the constitutional amendments committee and the chairs elections committee. Additionally, he is a public and private sector expert on environmental issues, education, and investment in infrastructure. Stern is also the youngest senator in California and wants to lower the voting age to 17 since the people elected are the ones that make decisions that affect us.

The last speaker was Alex Padilla, secretary of State of California. He is a Pacoima native and is the first Latino elected to the position. His parents immigrated from Mexico and graduated from MIT. Padilla’s work in politics began with city councils, and he’s worked his way up since.

People have been stressing young people to register to vote because of how low our voter turnout is as well as how impactful our votes can be when it comes to enacting positive change. And, if our school has the highest voter registration rate in LAUSD then we have a chance of getting a visit from former first lady Michelle Obama.