History Breakers

Elijah Miguel Moreno, Guest Writer

Rising tensions between the teachers of Los Angeles Unified School District and its Board of Directors hit new heights in recent months as teachers have gone almost two years without a contract.

With staff reductions and new policies trying to be enacted by the district, the teachers have had enough.

If the district does not agree to the terms demanded by the teachers’ union, United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA), for smaller class sizes, a raise in pay, full-time nurses and librarians on all campuses, and more necessities for a good school system, the some 30,000 LAUSD teachers will band together to fight this oppressive bureaucracy.

And yes, I do stand behind this strike, not only as the son of a teacher, or a student, but as an American, to fight for our rights. When facing oppressive and corrupt situations, as a nation we have always fought back, from the Revolution to the civil rights movement of the 1960s.

Even as the media may portray these teachers as wanting too much, they are ultimately doing this for the benefit of the students.

I know as a student I cannot focus or even feel comfortable in such cramped classes, which bring my learning ability down by a tenfold as I begin to worry and get distracted by those around me. And because of the little funding we do have, in some classes we even scramble to find spare paper and pencils, having to rely only on donations.

Schools cannot function like this. LAUSD is doing a disservice to its over 640,000 students by making schools fend for themselves, and forcing many to take the charter route, which hurts these public schools even more as big business takes over once again.

If one looks at the real cold hard facts, the teachers are not only fighting for what they truly deserve, but also for the benefit of their community and the hope of having a brighter generation fueled by those who put their wants into action.