With Fifty Students, It’s Hard to Focus

Amelie Wu, Guest Writer

Since the strike of 1989, conditions for public learning facilities have not improved and will only get worse as class sizes increase and funding gets cut.

In response, the teachers of Los Angeles have united once again to fight for the very life of our education. With the issue of enormous clases, underfunding, and a lack of attention to students with special needs, LAUSD teachers are fully justified to protect their rights and our education – and for that, we are all strike ready.

For students, the main concern with the strike is the issue of attendance and whether or not it will count against us.

For seniors, attendance counts towards their ability to graduate, which consequently poses an issue that may prevent them from participating in the strike.

Another problem that also concerns parents is what will happen with the thousands of students during the strike, and where they will be held during school hours.

This question still remains unanswered, but the idea of more than 3,000 students corralled into one place will probably discourage many students from coming to school and will compel them either to join the strike or stay at home.

Being a student in a large school, I have experienced the dire conditions teachers are fighting to fix. The most common dilemma is the massive number of students packed into one room in each class.

For instance, there was an insufficient amount of desks and chairs in my biology class so some students had to sit along the side of desks in folding chairs. With around fifty people in a small classroom, it is hard to focus at times and even harder to move around when we are doing labs or other activities.

If the issue of huge class sizes is solved, students will be able to participate in a smaller learning environment and teachers will more easily be able to assist students individually.

Despite ongoing renovations at our school that allowed my biology class to relocate to a larger room, class sizes still remain a prominent issue throughout the campus, especially for classrooms that are not slated to be remodeled.

The number of students in each classroom is already larger than what teachers can handle, and the number will not decrease unless the strike pushes through. If the the demand is met, teachers will better manage smaller classes and students will benefit from a more intimate community and individual attention from teachers.

Although the strike will come with the loss of lessons and valuable teaching days, the purpose of it all will ultimately benefit every student within LAUSD and contribute towards our learning experience in the future.

With a united community effort, the strike will send a strong message to LAUSD and become an instrumental step to advocating for the greater good of education that will protect our public schools for years to come.