What Should Students Do?

Gaby Tupaz, Staff Writer

The impending UTLA strike that is mobilizing the teachers and bringing the union together leaves students with one looming question: What are we supposed to do?

The dilemma I have been hearing the past few days was whether we should come to school or not, if absences affect us, and how long the strike will go on. General confusion about how the strike impacts us is felt throughout the school; still, it should not stop us from supporting our teachers any way we can.

“One thing students can do is bring supplies like water, food, and umbrellas seeing as it will probably rain,” Theodore Alberon says. Many students are welcomed to bring granola bars and water to school for the teachers, to show their support. It will help our teachers if we bring them food and supplies to keep them going for the entirety of the strike continues. Along with that, spreading information on social media to keep students updated is a widely used tactic. as the majority of students are still unaware of what to do.

Being absent is an option, but so is making signs and wearing red, calling the district, and telling parents about the situation. Joining the picket line to show solidarity in the fight for both teacher and student rights is the biggest help any student can do. “Spreading information about why the teachers are striking is important so people don’t take it for granted,” states 12th grader Mayumi Pitrat.

Showing  support is not limited to these ways as any small thing can be of great help. Being active and joining the picket line compared to having conversations within friend groups and family are two very different approaches. Both have relatively the same impact: more people know about the strike, meaning more will be willing to back our teachers up.

Though we will not be receiving any homework from our teachers during the strike, it is not the same as having a vacation break. This is a time for any form of action. The teachers are not only striking for better working conditions, but for the benefit of students. They are fighting for our education by asking for less standardized testing so they can focus more on helping students learn, smaller classes, and so much more that can be found on the UTLA website.

About the Writer