Parents in the Neighborhood Allowing People to use the Bathroom

Shehreen Karim, Opinions Editor

On a rainy Monday morning, parents, students, and teachers arrived as early as 6:30am in order to support our schools. People helped in many ways such as bringing water bottles, coffee, and donuts.

The fact that people were willing to show up in the pouring rain to support teachers shows how determined we all are. In fact, Ms.Wendy Hall said “I might be soaking, I might be freezing but I am not going to stop striking”.

A heartwarming moment during this strike occurred when a parents near the school allowed people to use their bathroom and distributed food as well. This family has been attending Cleveland High School for generations and wanted to support in any way the can. Marissa and her family were out supporting the teachers by providing bathrooms and hot coffee. This dedication is truly empowering.

During the strikes, cars were heard constantly honking in their support of the teachers as people chanted phrases such as “show me what democracy looks like…. this is what democracy looks like.” People were crossing the street constantly in order to bring attention to the incoming cars and LAUSD that we support the teachers.

Many students came to support the cause and, in an act of civil disobedience, many refused to go to school until UTLA gets their demands met, including caps on classrooms sizes and more funding for student education.

Elliott Hyon, Senior Class President, commented that “I feel very empowered, and I feel that students have the right to exercise their voice and lead student protests”  

Reema Haque commented “ I support the teachers because they prioritize us and provide us with genuine education”