Overview of Strike Day 2

Shehreen Karim, Opinions Editor

In contrast to Day 1 of the strike, today it was not raining as much, but still cold. Despite this, more people showed up to support. However, there was more police present at Cleveland High School and people trying to cross the picket line. There were definitely more students today that came to support than Day 1 of the strike.
At around 7:45 am, there were empty school buses trying to get through the picket line that formed in the middle of Miller and Cleveland, however, the picket line remain persistent and refused to break, making the buses come to a stop. However, there was one instance where the picket line was forced to break unfortunately. A parent who was trying to get to work broke the picket line by forcing people to stop by driving through. This caused many to be enraged since this disrupted the picket line and, ultimately, people believed they were trying to undermined the picket line.
Hala Dillsi, a teacher at Cleveland, chanted “I want to go to work too, they know the rules, do not be dissuaded by anyone trying to break the picket and what we are doing is completely legal.”
Around 8:15 am, people chanted and crossed the streets to get the incoming vehicles’ attention on Roscoe and Vanalden. Many car honked in support of the strike as well. Other than a few instances where people tried to break the picket line, most showed a tremendous amount of support for the cause and chanted as loud as they could.