Day 3 of Strike + Interview with CSUN Professors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shehreen Karim, Opinions Editor

It is now the third day of the strike and many have continued to show up, with a definite increase in the number of students on the picket line. Yesterday, LAUSD sent an email regarding the concern for absences, stating that absences will not count during the strike. Thus, many students came to support the teachers.  

Around 7:00 am, an oval-shaped picket line formed on the street between Miller and Cleveland High School, in order to stop and slow incoming traffic. At 8:30 am, the line moved to Roscoe and Vanalden to get the attention of incoming traffic. Teachers, students, and other supporters called out chants like,“more money for nurses, not their purses,” and, “Get up! Get Down! LA is our union town!”

Not only did parents, students, and teachers come to the strike but two professors from CSUN came to support as well. Daniel Olmos, Ph.D from the Sociology Department and Wayne Smith, Ph.D from the Business Department both came to support the teachers even though they do not start work again until next week.

When asked why is it important to strike personally, Olmos stated that “the students that are at CSUN come from LAUSD schools, so it’s important to struggle with the teachers… since the success for teachers is a success for Cal States.”

Despite the cold weather and no idea of when the strike will end, people still have showed up to support the teachers at Cleveland, as the professors did today.