Day 4 of the Strike

Shehreen Karim, Opinions Editor

Four days have passed since the strike began and it is said there will be a meeting between LAUSD and UTLA today where negotiations will resume. The rain poured hard on day four, which may have decreased the number of participants on the line.

However, the chants from the crowd of parents, teachers and students still could be heard loud and clear. Many came to support the teachers by providing food, water, coffee, and hand warmers to make those who are striking more comfortable.

Many supporters arrived at 7:00 am to join the picket line formed between Miller and Cleveland, ensuring that no car passes through to undermine the strike. In one instance, a truck attempted to go through the line but people were persistent and dedicated to hold it back. Due to this, the truck soon left.  

At 8:35 am, the strike moved to Roscoe and Vanalden in order to gain the attention of incoming traffic, making sure that they notice Cleveland students, parents, and teachers on strike. Cars honked their horns, while people played the drums and called one of the most memorable chants, “I’m wet, I’m tired, let’s get Beutner fired!”

Finally, at 10:00am, people moved the strike towards the Northridge Mall to further gain attention, walking as a huge crowd. Certainly, people noticed their dedication to trek in the cold rain, supporting the Los Angeles teachers.